One of the quickest way to blow months of progress is to make several days of bad food choices while on vacation. I have developed many techniques for helping clients to prevent body fat accumulation while on vacation even when eating at restaurants for every meal. Play your cards right and you can improve your body composition on vacation while still eating much more than usual.
Yes success requires some discipline while on vacation as there will be more tempting traps than usual due the availability of bad food sources. You can certainly use a few meals to eat whatever you want without gaining body fat if you follow the rules below. Do not take on the attitude that a week or two of eating whatever you want will be ok, it is not. Fat storage hormones build up quickly and a combination of alcohol and bad food consumption can easily pack on 10 lbs of body fat in a week. Furthermore high insulin levels and other digestive problems created by many days of bad eating will interfere with your ability to burn body fat for several days or possibly weeks depending on the situation.
Pigging out for several days in a row will catch up with you by lowering energy and screwing up digestion. it is a quick ticket to feeling lousy especially combined with heavy alcohol consumption.
1. Stick to your weight training and exercise program. 99% of resorts have gyms with some being better equipped than others, there are opportunities to train which are metabolic game changers to prevent body fat storage and increase energy. Exercise increases “feel good” neurotransmitters which lower cravings for bad food choices and alcohol; making these sessions more important than usual. If you have a busy day of activities, get into the gym first thing in the morning to ensure it gets done right even if these means eating breakfast on the go instead of a trip to the buffet.
2. Keep up with your supplement routine and yes you have room to pack these items. Alpha Omega M3 taken with meals is a powerful tool for preventing body fat accumulation, lowering cravings and in general feeling good! Designed by Dr. Serrano Alpha Omega M3 is not only a great investment in lowering body fat levels quickly, but also keeping them low long term by creating several powerful barriers to body fat accumulation. Satisfying fat cells with the proprietary blend of raw materials makes it much more difficult for “garbage” to penetrate the cell to increase body fat even with the diet is less than perfect. Insulin is the body’s most potent fat storage hormone so optimizing these levels via improved insulin sensitivity is crucial for avoiding body fat accumulation while forcing more raw materials into muscles to assist with the recovery process.
3.Skip a meal! After a big breakfast you may not be hungry for lunch so do not force down more food that is not needed. Instead you can use some 100% MR and Muscle Synthesis to increase energy and drive fat burning/muscle recovery. Taken between meals the 100% MR and Muscle Synthesis make the bran believe a massive amount of food has been consumed. As a result metabolic rate increases, but there is nothing to burn except stored fat since the 100% MR and Muscle Synthesis have no caloric burden. This leaves only body fat to be burned by a raging metabolism. Placing a scoop of each between meals a couple times per day will have a huge impact on energy levels, this will help to eliminate your mid afternoon slump while accelerating fat burning and recovery.
Use some nuts as a snack if you find yourself getting hungry between meals. Being very hungry in the presence of bad food choices that you will come across at some restaurants is a recipe for disaster!
Do not Go Hog Wild Without your Alpha Omega M3!
4. If you are going to hog wild at a certain meal- avoid fried foods, trans fats and high fructose corn syrup which all have powerful fat storing properties. Use 6 Alpha Omega M3 with this meal to give you extra body fat blocking power from several hormonal and metabolic pathways. Our clients have used this tactic for years and have been very successful in avoiding body fat accumulation even while eating huge amounts of food in one sitting.
5. Stay active! Choose activities that require you to move around such as biking, rafting, hiking, tours on foot etc. This is a great opportunity to move around more than usual so take full advantage!
6. Get to bed early and capture 8 to 9 hours of sleep. Most people are sleep deprived so catching up on some sleep is always a good investment. High quality sleep has a great impact on insulin sensitivity meaning you will have fewer cravings and a lower appetite on a day following a great night of sleep all things being equal. This is one of many reasons why the Fat Reduce PM is so important as it helps clients transition into a restful sleep by lowering stress levels. A good night of sleep is one of the easiest things someone can do to increase their rate of fat burning, recovery from exercise, performance and overall mental sharpness. The high energy levels associated with improved sleep also prevent eating out of boredom which is often done to increase energy levels.
7. If you want to pack on Muscle- weight train twice per day. My male clients looking to increase lean muscle mass will use a vacation period to eat and train more than usual to support their long term goals. The low stress environment during a vacation supports accelerated rates of recovery for a majority of trainees who face daily stressors while at work. We will expand on this topic in a future blog post with an example day of eating and training.
8. Take a look around the beach or pool. If you need some motivation take a look at the out of shape people and remind yourself that this is not the condition you want to own. There is nowhere to hide this time of year in your bathing suit which is a positive point of social pressure to keep yourself on track.
9. Minimize alcohol consumption. The more booze you consume, the quicker body fat will accumulate as alcohol not only contains empty calories, but also increases fat storage hormones. You cannot get away with drinking from dawn to dusk without packing on body fat and losing muscle.
10. Control your food choices by ordering off the menu and making the right substitutions. Instead of fries ask for a baked potato for example. This is not rocket science, however if you are presented with a bad food choice such as french fries on your plate, your are much more likely to eat them. Avoid buffets for obvious reasons. You will eat too much! If you do find yourself at a buffet fill yourself up with green vegetables and do not make several trips to the food line.
Email Scott@infinityfitness.com 7 days per week to discuss your unique situation and goals and get solutions today!